Beer Can Roasted Chicken – An amazing Roasted Chicken recipe that surpasses any rotisserie you can find! Made in the comfort of your home, this chicken hosts a simple blend of spices that will surely satisfy.
Let me tell you, as soon as I heard beer & chicken, I was invested. Insert a beer can into the butt of a chicken and grill it? Now I’m REALLY interested. This beer can roasted chicken, is fall off the bone tender and is made with a simple blend of spices that still pack a punch in the flavor department.
Yes, I’ll admit – the chicken looks rather, let’s say.. ridiculous, poached on top of a beer can. Everytime I make this I’ve been waiting for it to wave at me, but even though it does look rather silly, the half-full beer can will help keep the chicken moist and juicy on the inside, while still letting the chicken roast on the outside; making this the ultimate roasted chicken. You can never go wrong with meat and beer, but when combined? Perfection.
The best damn chicken out there
Why? Just look at it – it’s made with a BEER CAN! Let’s be honest here, I can think of so many jokes just by looking at it, but this roasted chicken is so damn good! Way better than anything you can find at the store or rotisserie. The best thing about this chicken? You get to drink the beer! Just kidding, the best thing about this recipe is how customizable it can be! Use your favourite blend of spices, kick up the heat or heck, even throw in some maple syrup for some added sweetness. Just like the beer you choose, the choice is up to you!
- Olive Oil – Substitute for canola oil, vegetable oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil or avocado oil.
- Beer – Pick your poison! Any beer will work, just make sure to get extra for drinking purposes.
- Chicken – We want a whole chicken for this recipe.
For the rub
Remember, this chicken can be rubbed with whatever you prefer, just don’t rub it the wrong way *wink*
What I used:
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Chili Powder
How to make beer can roasted chicken
- Preheat Oven – Preheat oven to 425° F / 220° C. Place a roasting pan on a baking dish to prevent making an absolute mess of your oven.
- Make the Rub – Mix all the rub ingredients together.
- Beer Please! – Open the can of beer and pour about ¼ of it into the roasting pan, set the can of beer in the center of the roasting pan.
- Prep Chicken – Clean the chicken and remove any giblets ( if any ) pat it dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the rub over the chicken and use your hands to give it a good massage.
- Set It Up! – Place the chicken upright over the beer can and drizzle the olive oil over.
- Bake – Bake in the oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
Tips and tricks for the best beer can roasted chicken
If you want your beer can chicken to be better than the rest, follow these tips:
- Don’t be scared of the spice! Really get in there and use your hands to rub the blend in all over. We don’t have hands for nothin’.
- After you take the chicken out of the oven or off the grill, do not carve it right away! Sit back and crack a beer, let that chicken rest. In about 15 minutes, you’ll be finished your nice cold beer and you will have extremely juicy and moist chicken ready and waiting.
- Use a meat thermometer to check if your chicken is cooked through. This will help you out immensely if you aren’t an expert.
- Experiment with your spice blend. Be original, stand out! You don’t have to use my spice mix combination, make this chicken to your liking.
How to serve your roast chicken
This chicken goes with anything you choose to serve it with! I’m not going to tell you what to eat, but I like to serve it with mashed potatoes and a salad or a side of veg. Hey, who’s to say you can’t just eat this as is with a side of beer? Not me!
How to store leftovers
Store leftover roasted chicken sealed tightly in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Beer Can Chicken
Print Rate Recipe Pin
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can beer any
- 1 whole chicken
For the rub
- 1 tbsp oregano dry
- 1 tbsp rosemary dry
- 1 tsp paprika smoked
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Preheat oven to 425° F / 220° C. Place a roasting pan on a baking dish to prevent making a total mess of your oven.
- Mix all the rub ingredients together.
- Open the can of beer and pour about ¼ of it into the roasting pan and set the can of beer in the center of the roasting pan.
- Clean the chicken and remove any giblets if it has any and pat it dry with paper towels. Sprinkle over the rub and use your hands to give it a massage.
- Place the chicken upright over the beer can and drizzle the olive oil over.
- Bake in the oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until golden and cooked through.