Beans and Sausage Stew
Romanian Style Beans and Sausage Stew - full of smoked sausage and a handful of other hearty ingredients. It's simple to make and sure to satisfy.
- 4 sausages cut into 1 (2.5 cm) inch pieces, I used wagyu cheddar beef
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 large onions chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 habanero chopped
- 1 red bell pepper cubed
- 56 oz beans 4 cans of 14 oz, mixed type
- 28 oz tomatoes crushed fire roasted, canned
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar granulated
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
Add the sausages to a medium size frying pan and cook them for 10 minutes or until browned on all sides; don't worry if they're not cooked through, they will continue to cook with the beans. Set aside.
Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat then add the onions and saute for 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
Add celery, carrots, garlic, habanero and red pepper to the pot and continue to saute everything for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add one cup of water, sugar, beans, crushed fire roasted tomatoes, bay leaves, salt and pepper and let simmer for 30 minutes covered.
Remove from heat, garnish with parsley, cover and let sit for another 5 minutes.
- If you think there is not enough liquid for your taste you can add some more tomato juice or water though this is not a soup but a stew.
- Cooking time will definitely increase if you use dry beans.
Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 596mg | Potassium: 757mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 3976IU | Vitamin C: 63mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 3mg